Friday, October 23, 2015

Luffa sponge gourds

It is getting close to harvest time for the Luffas. I planted 1 on each end of a 16 foot cattle panel. They have taken over the top half of the fence. I started the seed inside last March. These were slow to start as the need the day length to shorten. The needed more heat also. I am in Zone 5b Missouri. If I were farther south I would have had more female flowers and already harvested them. But I hope before a frost I will get them to dry on the vine.
This is a smaller one that may not get big enough to turn into a sponge. So I may try eating it. It is in the family of squash and cucumbers. But, more closely related to a cucumber. I have heard the skin tastes like a green bean. I have seen it used as a face treatment, or cleanser. But Will let you know, when I try it.

NAME: Luffa (Sponge) Gourd

OTHER COMMON NAMES: Vegetable Sponge / Smooth Luffa / Sponge Luffa / Climbing Okra / Dishrag Gourd
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Luffa Cylindrica
COLOR: Green
PLANT SEEDS: Outdoors after frost / Indoors weeks before last frost
HARVEST: 60 Days
HARDINESS ZONE: N/A
PLANT HEIGHT: 48 - 72"
PLANT SPACING: 5 - 6'
LIGHT REQUIREMENTS: Sun
SOIL & WATER PREFERENCES: Average
QUANTITY: I had 25 Seeds
OTHER: The Luffa Gourd is an open pollinated variety. You just allow the gourd to dry & peel off the skin to reveal the sponge. How cool is that?

No comments: