Monday, October 12, 2015

Multiplier Onion's and shallots order recieved.

 I received an order I purchased  for real multiplier onions.
 The red white and yellow sets I received on another post may be just onion sets. I paid allot of money for. But will not know till next summer if I was cheated. 

What I have now you can tell by looking at them. They are real!


Green Mountain Multiplier:   Large variety recently selected by Kelly Winterton.   I find that it doesn't cure out as reliably as the yellow potato onion it was bred from, and it has more tendency to bolt.  Once cured though, it keeps very well, into spring, and it is most definitely larger, at least twice as large on average.


Copper Shallot:  This is an old school shallot that has a very low tendency to flower.  Newer shallots are almost all grown from seed and will blot if planted.  This one is a beautiful coppery color and makes firm little bulbs and store very well.




I'itoi:Multiplier Onion  This is a very rare multiplying onion that make little bulbs that are a lot like a tiny shallot.  It is very small, but very productive.  It was supposedly introduced by the Spanish centuries ago and has been grown by the O'odam people of the southwest ever since.  It can also be grown and harvested as a scallion or as chives if left to grow without dividing.
Latin Name: Allium cepa var. aggregatum. Synonym: Allium cepa Aggregatum Group.  
Details from the seller. 
2 bulbs each of the classic heirloom






Yellow Potato Onion:  small to medium multiplier.  Extremely good keeper once cured out.

Yellow Potato Onion The newer Green Mountain Multiplier potato onion, Copper Shallot and I'itoi  All of these reproduce from bulbs, so you plant one and harvest many.  Small bulbs of Yellow potato onion, copper shallot and green mountain produce large bulbs if small bulbs are planted, or they produce many smaller bulbs if a large bulb is planted.  The collection contains two of each bulb.  In many areas, these can be fall planted and should be.  The yellow potato onion is very hardy, and I believe the Green Mountain is too, but I can't be positive about that.  Copper shallot can easily survive temps down to 20 where I live, beyond that I'm not sure.  I'itoi may be more cold sensitive, but should survive temps above 20 degrees if fall or winter planted.  Fall is a traditional time to plant potato onions in the south.  Since these reproduce by bulbs, there is no need to ever buy seed again.  Consider this an investment and a great way to test several varieties without spending a lot.  The potato onions and shallots usually produce about 6 bulbs for each one planted.  The math works out to 6 = 36= 216= 1296 in year three! and the I'itoi can produce large clusters of small onions in one season.

No comments: