Sunday, May 3, 2009

Self watering container

I bough 1 10 foot length of 1/2 inch pvc water pipe 2 elbows and 2 caps .
This was enough to work with 1 50 gallon drum cut in half. To make 2 containers.
The lengths were cut to allow for the cap & elbow to be added. I got hubby to drill holes through about ever 1/2 inch. This way water would flow out both sides evenly. It was placed in the drum with the holes to the sided.
Sand was then placed around the perimeter.Allowing the dirt to make contact in the middle.
1 gallon of composted manure was placed in first then topper with potting organic potting soil. I also place a empty juice container in the side to make it easer to see if there is water in there. I also can add water to the juice container. I planter 1 tomato in the center and 5 asparagus plants around the perimeter, They are in red circles on photo. Yellow is the top of container. Next year I will add more soil for the asparagus to grow taller.
I drilled drain holes around the side above the soil line to let excess water out.
Here is an updated photo. The potatoes are way bigger in the red tub. I wonder if it is the red color. As they are saying now to use red plastic under the tomato plants for better health. As you see the top right are 2 other potatoes plants in the top soil bags. I started them all at the same time, and transplanted one to the red container. Where it took off in growth. Soon I will add more soil to all of them.

The Lunar planting calendar for this month is located at the bottom of the page.

No comments: