Monday, June 22, 2015

Sneak peak of Yukon golld potatoes and starting Oca tubers

I am so excited to receive the Oca tubers.They need to be planted about 3 inches deep. But here in Missouri we have had allot of rain. Now temps are up in the 90f. These tubers many not be happy with that. So I am starting them in 4inch containers. Once I get some roots and growth on top. I will place them in the garden. It will not be till fall that tubers form beneath the plant. So I may have a chance to still get a harvest. This is an experiment to see if they will grow in my area. They are normally grown like potatoes in the Andie's. (South America)
High temperatures may affect the plants. That area is a short day area and I am in a neutral day area.  The hard part will be to get them to Nov or Dec for harvest. But I will do my best.

Oca (Oxalis tuberosa ) Known as the New Zealand Yam

1 comment:

Ytaudiobookreviews said...

Super nice job with the picture log - Im a visual person and this is perfect! Love it! MJ Healthy Living :)