Monday, June 15, 2015

Pea (Dwarf gray sugar)

A beautiful small flower will be found on this plant.



Pea (Dwarf gray sugar) (Pisum sativum)
  They are said to have purple bi-colored blossoms and leaves. Shoots are used as garnishes and in salad mixes, Small snow pea pods avg. 2½" long. But to me they look more Pink to purple in color range. The leaves remind me me of butterfly wings. But with out lack of sun and too much rain. This could account for the color difference.

Sow 1-1 1/2" apart 1/2-1" deep  germinate in 7-14 days
28" vines are said to be grown with or without support. But I find the will lay on the ground, and needed to be put on the fence to stand up.I planted these May 1, 2015. It took about 5 + weeks to start flowering. Well worth the wait.  Next year I will plant them early April. Or mid may. When soil temps are over 45f in temp. The are a full sun plant. But still grow with out lack of sun. 
 Edible podded in 60 days. But may take  bit longer if we continue to have so much rain.

 I planted the seed on May 2, 2015
This is what they looked like on May 19th

I will update this post as time goes on.

No comments: