Sunday, April 28, 2013

Planting update.

We have had so much rain here in Missouri, The only thing I have been able to plant so far, is yellow onion sets. And Thursday 11 (Beefmaster) tomato plants. The rain has stopped for now, So I will try to get something done today. I have been researching.mushroom compost. I plan to try some in my garden this year.  The next 2 day are good for leaf vegetables. So I am going to try to plant spinach, lettuce, cabbage, Monday the 30th, and 31, are tomato and fruit days. So I hope to get the rest of the tomato's and peppers planted. then.

Tomato plants  
Flame (Hillbilly)80-85 days. {indeterminate}
A huge, bi color heirloom, brilliant yellow color with red marbling. Very large with a rich, sweet flavor. Beautiful when sliced. An heirloom believed to be from West Virginia.

Gold Medal 75-90 days. {Indeterminate}
The 1 lb fruit are among the smoothest bi colored tomatoes and are one of the most beautiful . Lovely yellow fruit are blushing with rosy red that radiates from the blossom end. The firm flesh is of superior quality, being sweet and mild. The low acid content makes them great for fresh eating. From the late, legendary seed collector, Ben Quisenberry.

 BEEFMASTER HYBRID 80 Days {Indeterminate}

Extremely large-fruited beefsteak-type with hybrid vigor. High in vitamins A and C. Beefmaster was bred for resistance to verticillium and fusarium wilt and nematodes

Note: I had to try a hybrid this year. Because of crop failure the past 2 on the heirlooms. 

No comments: